1. Red Red. Getting started. The first push of the wheel, the first stirring of the seed, the first spurt of blood. It may be simple but it’s never easy. Don’t you dare call it basic. A cycle renews. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Blood. Survival. Life.
2. Red Orange. Pushing through to the next step. Fundamental creative spark. Your body forging itself through time and space, growing human forms. The first harmonious progression as red moves to orange, though one that might require a lot of energy. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Blood & Fire. Survival & Creativity. Life & Gratitude.⠀⠀⠀
3. Red Yellow. This first dance with power is exertion of autonomy, is hard work, is even a struggle to survive. Say yes to the challenge, to overcoming and becoming. Power is a blessing and a curse, both its lack and abundance. Don’t take too much and please don’t give it all away. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Blood & Sun. Survival & Power. Life & Yes.⠀⠀⠀⠀
4. Red Green. In order to love, first to relate, and in order to relate, first to differentiate. You are birthed and thus separate, able to regard the other in wonder. Your blood flows through veins like so many branches, a family tree ultimately connecting all things. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Blood & Leaves. Survival & Love. Life & Family.
5. Red Blue. After being born, the acoustic umbilical cord allows connection to bridge bodies and space. Crying out to be heard and then being listened to builds the fundamental trust that ultimately allows you to communicate. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Blood & Sky. Survival & Expression. Life & Communication.
6. Red Purple. You came knowing, acting by instinct, indistinct from your surroundings. Now you need tricks to bring you back to that oneness, back to that wholeness, back to everything. Good thing you’ve known how to get there all along. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Blood & Sky. Survival & Intuition. Life & Mindfulness.
7. Red Black White. The first visible colors, a first cycle complete. Mastering the fundamentals, in body and spirit. The whole shining circuit integrated and illuminated: bottom to top, taint to crown. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Blood & Light. Survival & Transcendence. Life & Interconnectedness.
8. Orange Red. Boom! Get the blood boiling. Feel it in your loins—you are ready to make. In every sense of the word. Celebrate the start of a new cycle, your ability to create, that you are here. Shehechiyanu. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Fire & Blood. Creativity & Survival. Gratitude & Life.
9. Orange Orange. Creation, destruction, transformation. Orange is an orange is itself. It is pleasure, abundant and compelling. It is lust and lust for life. It is hunger, the satiated and the perpetual. Industry, the fruitful and the excessive. Work, the fulfilling and the consuming. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Fire. Creativity. Gratitude.
10. Orange Yellow. Thank you, yes, I’ll take some more. I’ll make some more. I will keep showing up and doing the work. I will bite off more than I can chew and then chew it. And I will blaze. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Fire & Sun. Creativity & Power. Gratitude & Yes.
11. Orange Green. Creating from the heart. Love is fuel for the hearth: stoke the flames with abandon. Building relationships and building a life is an art, is art. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Fire & Leaves. Creativity & Love. Gratitude & Family.
12. Orange Blue. Sharing, spreading, soaking. Driving, distributing, disseminating. The impulse to expand beyond the self through ideas and inventions. Opposite, elemental forces that are either life-sustaining or life-extinguishing, and always compelling. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Fire & Water. Creativity & Expression. Gratitude & Communication.
13. Orange Purple. With your intention, create what you know needs to exist: that which emerges in moments and that which takes many cycles to unfurl. Be it sacred, strange, or both, follow the forces that compel you. Breathe, give thanks, and burn. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Fire & Sky. Creativity & Intuition. Gratitude & Mindfulness.
14. Orange Black White. A light passes from wick to wick, from hearth to hearth, from pyre to pyre, covering the earth. The collective creative force of humanity is at once awesome and devastating. Harnessing it responsibly is not something you can achieve on your own. There’s a proverb: “you do not have to complete the work of perfecting the world, but neither are you free to desist from it.” Just make sure you bring others along with you. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Fire & Light. Creativity & Transcendence. Gratitude & Interconnectedness. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
15. Yellow Red. Bodily autonomy. Bodily autonomy. Bodily autonomy. The basis of personal power is freedom to choose what happens to and inside your own body. That power is sacred: honor it by defending it for the collective. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Sun & Blood. Power & Survival. Yes & Life.
16. Yellow Orange. “What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” Use your power to create the world you want to live in. Fly as close to the sun as you please: humility and bravery are not mutually exclusive. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Sun & Fire. Power & Creativity. Yes & Gratitude.
17. Yellow Yellow. The power of yes, YOUR yes. If you’re misaligned, the anxiety is a pit in your stomach. When you’re aligned, the clarity is a bell ringing at a perfect pitch, all green lights (no, not yellow), all open doors. Go there. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Sun. Power. Yes.
18. Yellow Green. Photosynthesis: all those panels tilted toward the sun collecting energy, fueling roots, fueling forests, fueling lungs. Like trees we too can plug in and nurture ourselves, nurture the collective. Ground that power with love. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Sun & Leaves. Power & Love. Yes & Family.
19. Yellow Blue. Like water, you can communicate with flow or force. Know when to be patient and when to let it out. The power of truth: honesty and vulnerability. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Sun & Water. Power & Expression. Yes & Communication.
20. Yellow Purple. Control your mind. Control your circumstance. The power of being where are meant to be: here, now, present. Sky. Power & Intuition. Yes & Mindfulness.
21. Yellow Black White. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but it can change form. Embrace ambiguity, embrace transformation. The power of the collective, the power of spirit. The power of possibility. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Sun & Light. Power & Transcendence. Yes & Interconnectedness.
22. Green Red. Otherness is not a threat. Your fate is wrapped up in mine. Our bloodlines branch back to the same source, all part of the human family tree. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Leaves & Blood. Love & Survival. Family & Life.
23. Green Orange. The bush was not consumed, the leaves left intact despite the flames. Creating from the heart may not make you invincible but it will give you stamina. It will give you the time and dedication necessary to create what you were meant to create, despite and in collaboration with the world burning around you. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Leaves & Fire. Love & Creativity. Family & Gratitude.
24. Green Yellow. Love itself is power. Expansive, ecstatic, ferocious. Boundless. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Align your heart and your gut: breathe into your belly filling up your chest, empty your belly out through your chest. Feel your capacity for tenderness and appreciation grow. Leaves & Sun. Love & Power. Family & Yes.
25. Green Green. The fantasy of a plant-matter takeover, that leaves and vines would crawl creep cover everything and somehow reset the results of human productivity. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Like the surface of the planet, your heart can fill to the point of bursting and yet contain all of it: the sorrow at the state of things, the joy in beingness. Leaves. Love. Family.
26. Green Blue. Love is a language, universal and infinitely individual. Exchanging love is creating a shared language, and it isn’t always automatic or easy. In all relationships, communicate as honestly as your heart can muster. Especially with yourself. Leaves & Water. Love & Expression. Family & Communication.
27. Green Purple. You are connected with everyone and everything around you. This isn’t always pleasant, but don’t shy away: go there, be there, feel what it is there and then know what is there. Act accordingly. Leaves & Sky. Love & Intuition. Family & Mindfulness.
28. Green Black White. Body meets mind in the heart. Integrate yourself and then you are ready to disintegrate, merging with the love and light all around you. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Leaves & Light. Love & Transcendence. Family & Interconnectedness.
29. Blue Red. Most communication is nonverbal. More than glances and body language, it’s beyond the human. It’s the hum of life itself. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Water & Blood. Expression & Survival. Communication & Life.
30. Blue Orange. Speak it into being: to yourself, to no one in particular, to anyone, to everyone. Articulate your vision to make it appear. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Water & Fire. Expression & Creativity. Communication & Gratitude.
31. Blue Yellow. Keeping saying yes to your ideas and you’ll be ready to catch the wave when it comes. Let it carry you to the others. Build our power. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Water & Sun. Expression & Power. Communication & Yes.
32. Blue Green. Speak from the heart and don’t let feelings fester. Your vulnerability is a source of strength as long as you stay connected to your truth. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Water & Leaves. Expression & Love. Communication & Family.
33. Blue Blue. Whatever you’ve been holding back, let it flow. Lift the dam. Let them know. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Water. Expression. Communication.
34. Blue Purple. Mindful communication starts with your inner monologue. Guide it away from criticism toward affirmation. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Water & Sky. Expression & Intuition. Communication & Mindfulness.
35. Blue Black White. Imagine the soundtrack of all the earth’s noises playing at once. The dissonance and harmonies, the music. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Water & Light. Expression & Transcendence. Communication & Interconnectedness.
36. Purple Red. Trust your animal instincts. Use your body as a compass and your mind will follow. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Sky & Blood. Intuition & Survival. Mindfulness & Life.
37. Purple Orange. Tap into your creative flow. Thank the muse. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Sky & Fire. Intuition & Creativity. Mindfulness & Gratitude.
38. Purple Yellow. Magic is a tool. Harness your own mind to wield it. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Sky & Sun. Intuition & Power. Mindfulness & Yes.
39. Purple Green. If you feel wise when in the walls of your mind, bring that awareness into your interactions with other people. How far do your love and awareness go? As Ram Dass said, “If you think you’re enlightened, spend a week with your family.” ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Sky & Leaves. Intuition & Love. Mindfulness & Family.
40. Purple Blue. Transmit your wisdom, putting words to what you know to be true. Tell stories about the world that is passing away, and more importantly, tell stories about the world we are bringing into being. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Sky & Water. Intuition & Expression. Mindfulness & Communication.
41. Purple Purple. Your body is a touch point for sky and earth. Use it to tune into the wisdom passed between them. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Sky. Intuition. Mindfulness.
42. Purple Black White. Cultivate peace. As within, so without. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Sky & Light. Intuition & Transcendence. Mindfulness & Interconnectedness.
43. Black White Red. Don’t forget your body. You can’t leave it behind. Yet. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Light & Blood. Transcendence & Survival. Interconnectedness & Life.
44. Black White Orange. Your acts of creation can echo those of nature but will never exceed them. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Light & Fire. Transcendence & Creativity. Interconnectedness & Gratitude.
45. Black White Yellow. Restoring power to the many through collective action. Smashing systems of oppression and violence with a shining Yes to what’s possible. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Light & Sun. Transcendence & Power. Interconnectedness & Yes.
46. Black White Green. All of it is part of it. Let’s hold hands. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Light & Leaves. Transcendence & Love. Interconnectedness & Family.
47. Black White Blue. Live your truth like water droplets scatter light, shooting out colors. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Light & Water. Transcendence & Expression. Interconnectedness & Communication.
48. Black White Purple. We already know what we need to know to make this earth a paradise for all creatures in it. There’s nothing new to look for, but plenty to act on. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Light & Sky. Transcendence & Intuition. Interconnectedness & Mindfulness.
49. Black White Black White. The end of a cycle is the start of another. Completion is a temporary state: revel in the moment. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Light. Transcendence. Interconnectedness.
Like the visible spectrum, there are as many ways as you can dream up to do Rainbow Squared. For this year, I stuck with animation and used multiple mediums to create images, rotating by background color. The strategy for each band of color stems from its meaning:
Red: the basic fundamentals of life: crayons, markers, labels.
Orange: fire and creation: burning construction paper.
Yellow: painting my pregnant belly, solar plexus and the seat of power and choice.
Green: photographing flowers and leaves, sometimes arranging, sometimes documenting.
Blue: ink dropped into water, disseminating.
Purple: the collective mental stew of the internet: Google Image Search curated, sorted, and strung together.
Black White: the rainbow made solid, future trash arranged in one giant pile and stop-motioned.